Resources & Vocabulary
On this page will be the specific vocabulary used in class, units and lessons. I will also post any resources here that we used in class or that could be used for additional information or to extend your learning. The most current resources will be at the top.
Expressive Features and Characteristics of Design Chart
Expressive Features and Characteristics of Design Chart
Motion in Photography
Depth of Field
How a panorama image looks after photoshop blends it together. You can leave it like this or you can crop and adjust certain areas so that the image is more uniform.
How to Add Drama to a Product Shot
First you will want to isolate (select) your product. It is best if you make a duplicate on a seperate layer:
Select your object>Cmd C to copy it>Cmd V to paste it. It will paste directly onto a new layer.
Then you can do different things to the background:
Blur it a bit to make the product stand out
Downloading and Using Brushes
Downloading and using BrushesGo to google and type in whatever kind of brush you are looking for. For example, if you were looking for a snowflake brush, search: "Photoshop snowflake brush free." There are tons of websites with free brushes available for download!
This website Brusheazy has a lot of good ones.
1. Download your brush set.
2. Double click the download at the bottom of your browser to "upzip" the file."
3. Go to your photoshop brushes palette and click the little circle at the top right corner.
4. Click "Load Brushes" and find your brush in your downloads.
5. Your new brush set will then appear at the bottom of your brushes preview palette. Enjoy!
Find all kinds of brushes at Brusheezy.com
A Good site to find smoke brushes
A Good site to find Cloud brushes
Downloading Fonts with Real Personality
Tutorial: How to download fonts from www.dafont.com
Impossible Photography Tutorials
Make a Tiny World from a Panoramic Photo
Digital Portrait Tutorials
1. Painting Effects using Smart Objects
Click here to go to website to download PSD file (look for red download box)
Download brief tutorial/instructions (please note: I had previously posted the wrong tutorial. If you were confused that is why!).
Draw on a Portrait
There is no tutorial for this technique. Create a layer above your portrait layer and use the Photoshop drawing tools (brush, pencil, text) to add to the portrait.
2. Watercolor Portraits (see image at right) Note: In the tutorial just replace the concept of "Dancer" with "Portrait". Download tutorial
Watercolor backgrounds for this tutorial. Choose 2 to download. To download, click on an image to enlarge it and right click and choose Save Image As.
Using downloaded actions for specific techniques Link to 54 free actions like the ones shown here. *Note many of these are from Deviant Art so you won't be able to get them. I have downloaded a few and put them in Dropbox. I will keep adding more.
How to Download and use Photoshop ACTIONS.
This tutorial shows 4 different ways to turn an image into a comic effect. Download tutorial.
Pop Art Tutorial
Create a 1960's Andy Warhol inspired portrait. Download tutorial. This tutorial is for an earlier version of Photoshop, so you might have to search for some tools -- or ask me!
Slice and Dice
This doesn't have a tutorial, but you can open your image in Photoshop, and resize it to the size and resolution we use. (10 wide, 250 resolution)
Then increase your canvas size if you need to (Image>Canvas Size) by 2 or 3 inches both height and width. This will give you extra space to cut and paste parts of the photo and reposition them.
Creating Abstract Photography Effects (in the camera and in Photoshop
Abstract photography can be achieved just by taking photos (see article on right). It can also be a combination of shooting and image and then manipulating it like in the video below.
Spooky Tutorials (Choose 3 to complete and turn in)
Antique a Photo
How to turn an image into Sepia-tone to make it look old-fashioned (video)
How to give a photography-in-the- dark effect like infrared
Ghosting an image
Make your photos look creepy (this is an app you download on your computer)
Horror Movie Effect
How to photograph a ghost
Files for Advanced tutorials in Dropbox - I couldn't get all of them, so find an image that is similar if it's missing
Creating a ghostly image
Levitation Ideas and Tutorials
Spooky places to check out near East
Ghosts of Cheesman Park
Denver's Haunted History
Fairmont Cemetery: Open to the public, but always be respectful while in the cemetery. Photos from here would only be "spooky" if you make them look that way.
Class Tutorial on "Spookifiying" a Normal Image in Photoshop
Download the following images:
Cemetery photo (normal)
Old mirror texture
See the images on the right.
1. Open all the images in Photoshop as layers or seperate tabs
2. Choose a brown color in your color picker then go to Image>Adjustments>Hue & Saturation. Check the "Colorize" box and this will make your photo brown-toned.
3. Blend your texture layer with the cemetery photos by using the blending modes (just like we did in previous texture tutorials) Try out different Blending Modes and Opacity settings to get the texture how you want it to look.
4. Put a Vignette (dark area around the edges of your image) by going to Filters>Lens Correction>choose custom>find vignette in the options and move the slider side to side to see its effects. *make sure you are on the cemetery layer!
5. Cut out the levitating figure from the levitating image. Position her in your composition and do something to make her look like a ghost.
The purpose of these tutorials is so that you can learn digital darkroom techniques that will give you photos a spooky quality.
Done with Everything?
These tutorials will expand your skills and help you do cool things with photography. Turn in a finished image to Dropbox to receive credit for your work. I prefer you work with your own photos than ones from the
- 4 ways to covert a color photo into black and white (required)
- Advanced Black and White Technique
- Photographic Toning Tutorial
Selective Color Tutorial (slightly different than the previous tutorial)
- Adding Color to a black and white photo #1
- Adding Color to a black and white photo #2
Setting up your Weebly Website
Setting up your Weebly website: Download tutorial
Setting up your Weebly Website Semester 1 page
Learning More About Photoshop Tutorial
When you have finished, download the photo on the right (right click and save image). Follow the tutorial and make the fixes to the image. You can also use your own image.
Click to download: 10 Must-know Introductory Photoshop Skills For Beginner Photographers tutorial